Review: Halflings by Heather Burch


Halflings by Heather Burch

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

THANK YOU TO NET GALLEY AND ZONDERVAN FOR ALLOWING ME TO REVIEW THIS BOOK AND GIVE MY HONEST OPINION


What struck me most was the wonderful creative writing of Burch. Her fluidity takes you on a third person journey and from beginning to end the action is intense. What lets this book down (in my eyes) is the forced attempt at a love triangle which digresses from the main story itself. Furthered with so many unanswered questions I reached the end with a feeling cheated by the Author.

Synopsis:
After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.

Review:
The Halflings concept is a new twist on the Angels genre. I've read so many Angel based books now so for me this was original. However the background of the Halflings was a little bit too vague. Yes, we understand that they've been on lots of journeys protecting people, however you still get a sense that all 3 halflings are very naive. Especially with their emotions.

The story was left incomplete. I don't mind cliffhangers but you get the impression that not even half of the questions raised in this book were answered. For instance, first and foremost we should have found out exactly why Nikki Youngblood is being targetted. And who is Vessler? And what's the story with Richmond (yes we know he worked for Omega but why are the bad guys after him?)I got the impression that the author hadn't finished writing the book and as I read the last page I was amazed that a book had been published with no meaning behind it, I felt empty.

Nikki initially reminded me of Rose Hathaway from the Vampire Academy series. She's tough, very tough. But her character didn't come over as solid enough as she led Mace on and then quickly flicked over to Raven. The love triangle annoyed me immensely and unless it has a major part of the story line I couldn't shake the feeling that this was forced into Halflings intentionally just for extra filler.

Overall there's a lot of writing and its great. I have to commend Burch for that. But the story in the writing is stretched and flawed. I will be interested when book 2 comes out but I won't be rushing to buy it.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book, but you and I have very similar tastes in books. I'm reading SHATTER ME right now too and I see it in your side bar. Thanks for the honest review. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly, I'd love to know what you think of Halflings. I got it from Net Galley so you should be able to get it too. CBx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!