Dusty Reads #4 - Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


My Dusty Read is the very popular Anna and the French Kiss.
My paperback had so much dust on it before I started reading.
Why did I wait so long?





 


~~~~~

x


Dusty Reads is a weekly meme hosted by Giselle at Xpresso Reads where we spotlight a book sitting in our TBR pile.
My twist is that I actually, finally, read them!


Synopsis:
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?

Final Review: 5 out of 5
If you've read my previous contemporary reviews you'll know I'm not fond of the contemporaries. Thats just me. The reasons this has been sitting on my shelf for so long is that a) yes, it's contemporary and b) I've read a lot of school based books and I needed a break and c) I love the Paranormal genre and would gladly put those first. Sadly for me I missed out on reading a great book since I received it in March 2011!
So, you've read the synopsis and possibly even read the book. The first thing to say is that the first preson present tense really works well with this style of book. It's a style I'm getting more and more used to but learning to enjoy all the more.
So, Anna moves to a new school in Paris because of her horrid father and his insistance that she'll gain worldly wisdom from attending a school in a foreign country. Why Paris is chosen as that school is never really discussed. Probably because its a School of America. At the end of the day this isn't relevant at all as all of the characters are American origin.
Anna as a character was extremely likeable, and her new friends were easy to relate to. She fell into a group of friends quickly and stayed being herself, and they immediately included her.
Etienne St Clair is also a likeable character but certainly insecure when it comes to girls. His reluctance to end his previous relationship but be so friendly towards Anna gave me concern. Mainly because if it was me I would have insisted that he make a choice. Not straight away but especially after the Christmas holidays. Sadly Anna and Etienne face that age old problem that we all suffer from. The inability to really talk about their feelings. Yes, they play and joke around one another, they enjoy each other's company when they're in Paris and remain close friends. But the barrier is always there and Anna waited almost a whole school year before exploding at him after a drunken night out. Kudos to her for finally venting her feelings but I was frustrated it took so long! Although I did also cheer a little!

Of course there's no end of complications that occur throughout. They start building up from the beginning when Anna realises her first friend Meredith has unspoken feelings towards Etienne. And Dave comes into the story early on as a would be rival. Josh and Rashmi have problems with their relationship that sink further and Rashmi's upset because of Etienne's girlfriend.

But what I loved most besides the gradual growth of tension was Anna's acceptance that she isn't a perfect person, or a perfect friend. From the beginning we see her flaws and watch them grow but she makes amends when she realises them. Anna is couragous and towards the end we see her determination to help those around her, especially Etienne.

Overall, you've probably guessed it - I loved this book. So much that I'm going to buy Perkins other book very soon! I can't wait!
You can reach Stephanie Perkins here:

 Facebook: Profile

6 comments:

  1. Y E S.
    I've won Anna and the French Kiss and practically devoured it, and now I'm reading Lola and the Boy Next Door (and Anna & St. Clair are in it! St. Claiiiir!) and if I could, I would just sit and read it.

    And I'm not that much a fan of contemporaries either. ;D

    I'm really glad you liked it.

    Agnieszka @ Nook of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've just made my day! If Anna and St Clair are in it I'm DEFINITELY going to get Lola! Excited!!!

      I'm glad I'm not the only one with contemporaries! :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. Anna is awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed it to. I still have to read Lola but I heard it wasn't as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Anna! Its official! I've read mixed reviews on Lola but I'll give it a shot. I'm still buzzing from enjoying this book so much!

      Delete
  3. I still wait for this one from TBD, it will arrive soon. I heard it was awesome and I really want to read this =D

    My Dusty Reads :
    http://ellegoesnerd.blogspot.com/2012/02/dusty-reads-12-wishlist-wednesday-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have to read this one! :) Love your blog!!
    +New Follower
    -Kimberly @ www.turningthepagesx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!