Arc Review: Pretty Dark Nothing by Heather L Reid

Pretty Dark Nothing by Heather L Reid  

Publishers: Month9Books
Published Date:
From: Net Galley
My rating:
3.5 out of 5
Synopsis:
It’s been twenty three days since Quinn has slept for more than minutes at a time. Demons have invaded her dreams, stalking her, and whispering of her death. The lack of sleep and crippling fear are ruining her life. Energy drinks and caffeine pills don’t make a dent.

When Quinn dozes off in the school hallway, Aaron, an amnesiac with a psychic ability, accidentally enters her nightmare. The demons are determined to keep them apart, and Aaron from discovering the secret locked away in his memory. Together, they could banish the darkness back to the underworld for good. That is, unless the demons kill them first.
Review:
Firstly, I liked this book, the story drew me in immediately. Quinn isn't a strong person in the story and to be honest that was a little refreshing as I've been reading many books with great inner strength. But Quinn was totally different. Full of insecurities, doubts, worries and most of all that feeling of being unloved by her parents.

So, Quinn has a demon problem. They reach into her dreams or nightmares and torment her to death. They whisper in her ears and mock her when she's alone. And she daren't go to sleep, at all.

Aaron sees everything but hangs back away from the crowd. Everyone in school knows that Quinn is still hung up on her ex-boyfriend. The one who started dating another popular girl straight after. The school seem to worship Jeff, and Aaron can't stand him. Especially the way Jeff treats Quinn. But Aaron knows Quinn is vulnerable and after a few happenings where Aaron happened to be at the right place at the right time, he really believes at last that he'll have a chance with Quinn.

Told from 2 POV's this story weaves around high-school and brings forward all the fears and doubts that everyone goes through at that age. Most of the time (not knowing where the story was heading) I actually began to read the demons as metaphors, hoping right at the end something miraculous would happen and Aaron would save the day. After the school homecoming scene I actually thought the story dipped and I confess that I was a little disappointed that the big reveal happened right at the end. A very surprising ending I might add. Not what I expected AT ALL!!

This is a story that definitely fits into the good v evil category. What really held it together was the grief and turmoil that Quinn goes through throughout the book. I really hope there aren't any students who actually go through this in real life (and yes, I'm using demons as actual metaphors this time). The way her school friends and colleagues treated her was so awful, I felt so sorry for her.

Anyway, the writing style is excellent so full marks to Reid. I'm hoping there will be a second book because I really liked Aaron and I'm now curious as to what happens next!!

-CB x




You can reach Heather L Reid here:
 
Available from Amazon:

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!