Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover


Publishers: Simon and Schuster UK
Published Date: January 5th 2012

From: Bought

My rating: 5 out of 5
Synopsis:
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope. Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart

Review:
The First 20%
The first time I read this book I was so invested in it the first 20% became 50% before I knew it. Similar with the second time of reading. The story binds you in immediately and once you're in there's no going back!

The Main Characters

Layken moves from Texas to Michigan because of her father's death and mother's need for a job. Layken comes across as a young character that has seen too much of life already. She's experienced the death of her father, had to look after her brother but after six months she's still dealing with his loss. When Will comes along to meet her on her first day they instantly connect. I wouldn't say it was insta-love but they both share something.

When their friendship breaks down she does show off her naivety, we see that even though she's 18 years old her actions are of a hurt, peed off teenager. However, after a few more downers she springs back up and takes everything life throws at her like a trooper. She's resigned to accept that the one thing she wants in life, she can never have.

Will is a sound, solid, mature 21 year old. He's had to grow up unbelievably fast after the death of his parents, especially caring from his 9 year old brother. But everything comes to a standstill when he sees Layken drive up in the hired U-Haul. However, life doesn't play fair and both Will and Layken have huge hurdles to overcome. They work against each other initially but towards the end, when they are lowest of the low, they come together again and help everyone else around them.

The Story
The story was great. What I LOVED was the slam poetry. These moments in the book were very special, such moving words and feelings that youngsters shouldn't have to experience at their age, but each one does. The trials and hardships that Layken and Will face are huge but the person I really loved the most in this story was Eddie. Everyone should have an Eddie as a friend!!

The End?
Sad but resolute. Quietly happy.

Overall
I read this book about 3 months ago but didn't review it. The first time I felt like my heart was being torn out with a fork, and I bawled my eyes out. This time, even though I knew what would happen, a huge amount of sadness hit me but I was strangely calmly happy with the outcome.

-CBx

You can reach Colleen Hoover here:
 Facebook: Page
Goodreads






3 comments:

  1. Nice review! I'm a new follower. If you are interested you can check mine out at http://thebookknoll.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found you through Linky, wanted to know what you though of Slammed. Is it on my to read list.

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you really loved this book!Haven't given much thought to picking this one up before, but I'm convinced that I should read Slammed now! You know you've read an amazing book when it affects you that deeply emotionally.

    Brilliant review :)
    Catherine @ The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!