Review: Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins


Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Synopsis:

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

Review:
I always wonder why authors spend so much time building up a setting and then completely switch to another for a sequel. I was all ready for another year at Hex Hall but, no, we're off to England to Thorne Abbey.

Once I get settled into my new abode (with the help of Sophie, of course) I actually liked it. All the English-isms were a little cliche (not all English people like fish and chips - i don't!) but I expect overseas readers will feel at home with them.

The story carries on a few weeks after the last book ends. But this time Sophie is in so much danger it's untrue. The author steps up the tension and suspense and with a smidgen of romance, Spellbound lives up to the expectations of Hex Hall.

Again, the story is evenly paced, clues drop in nicely every now and again, and I must admit, I thought the Dad was in on it so much to my surprise the twists are even better than the last book.

We have more of a love-triangle going on too as Cal enters the story in small doses, and Archer makes a welcome return.

All in all, I loved it, and couldn't put it down.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!