Review - The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Synopsis
Two Hearts. One Hope.
Rose has been appointed as a healer's apprentice at Hagenheim Castle, a rare opportunity for a woodcutter's daughter like her. While she often feels uneasy at the sight of blood, Rose is determined to prove herself capable. Failure will mean returning home to marry the aging bachelor her mother has chosen for her---a bloated, disgusting merchant who makes Rose feel ill.
When Lord Hamlin, the future duke, is injured, it is Rose who must tend to him. As she works to heal his wound, she begins to understand emotions she's never felt before and wonders if he feels the same. But falling in love is forbidden, as Lord Hamlin is betrothed to a mysterious young woman in hiding. As Rose's life spins toward confusion, she must take the first steps on a journey to discover her own destiny.

My Review:

I didn't realise this was a 'Christian' novel so sorry if my comments upset anyone.The story was good, very sweet fairytale-ish and I enjoyed it but...

Sometimes there was a little too much swooning and tears whenever she saw either of the brothers. I would have liked a little more backbone from the main character. I felt that the author overemphasised her feelings. One or two words would have been enough but sentence after sentence, it just dragged on.

There was a lot of gazing into eyes but not much dialogue (along with the swooning), I would have preferred a little more interaction and wit from the characters.

I am now aware that this is a Christian novel but I noticed towards the end that the rate of 'O God and O Lord' almost trebled along with copious amounts of bible quotes and praying. It was a little overkill.

The picture setting was great and the author clearly knows her stuff. Gunthur and Hildy were my favourites!

A good read and I've given it three stars but I wouldn't read it again.


 ~

Heres the book trailer! Enjoy!




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!