Review: Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

THANK YOU TO NET GALLEY AND HARLEQUIN FOR ALLOWING ME TO REVIEW THIS BOOK AND GIVE MY HONEST OPINION


I really enjoyed this book. Many reviews have so far questioned the character building or world building but for me the main pulling power was the overall story.

Avry is interesting as a female protagonist. A 20 year old, on the run due to her ability to heal, and running out of options. One night she heals a baby suffering from the plague that has hit the town but the parents turn her in. From then on Avry has the biggest of adventures, but the underlying truth is that she’s going to die, so it’s what she does with the time that she has that matters.

The characters are all enjoyable. You notice a softer side to Kerrick occasionally but want to slap him most of the time. Only because you understand how he feels about Avry before he does. The lads in the gang are all fun. I felt bad when Flea died and suffered as they did.

The introduction of Tohon was interesting. I would have liked a little bit more development on his part because I wanted to believe that underneath all the evil there might be someone worth saving (from himself).

The ending was a little sudden but still enjoyable and I’m glad Avry found two more healers in the end.

Based in a fantasy/medieval world Touch of Magic was a great read. I found the flow easy and non-jerky, and loved the modern language of it all. Sometimes other books in this genre are bogged down with too much description but Snyder has the steady pace and descriptions in equal measure.

Definitely read it. It’s well worth your time. Now I want to read more of her books!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from fellow readers. Write a message!